Landlord Insurance explained

Whether you let just the one, or a range of properties, insurance can be quite confusing. So we've listed some useful landlord insurance information to help you get your head around some of the common queries.

What is Landlord insurance

If you rent out property/properties that you own, Landlord insurance protects you against damage or loss to your property. Residential Landlords insurance covers many of the same dangers that ordinary home insurance does, like fire, theft and floods for any single property and more!  You’ll  be able to add Rent cover to our Landlords policy and Property Owners Liability comes as standard, giving you extra peace of mind. If you let more than one property, please call us on 0330 102 4518 and we’ll happily give you a multi premises quote . If you rent out commercial property (or a mixture of commercial/Residential) you’ll need commercial Landlords insurance; don’t worry, we can also offer this. Landlord insurance also protects you against damage or problems your rental property may sustain, such as:

  • Damages to your property caused by a tenant.
  • Liability in case a tenant or visitor is injured whilst on your property.
  • Temporary re-housing costs (residential properties only) following an insured event that forces your tenant(s) to vacate the property.
  • Your rental income following an insured event at the premises such as a fire, flood, vandalism.

Do I need Landlord Insurance?

While renting out a property you own does not require you by law to have insurance, the risks heavily outweigh the costs. If you have a mortgage on the property it may stipulate that you need to purchase Landlord Insurance on the property. If you are without Landlord Insurance and there is an accident or damage relating to your property you may be liable to substantial costs and legal repercussions.

What does Landlord Insurance cover?

We provide two types of insurance; Residential and Commercial. Residential Insurance is aimed at people who own ‘buy to let’ houses and flats.

  • Buildings Insurance - Protection against events like fire, floods, vandalism and theft as well as cover for fees incurred in the repair of your property.
  • Public Liability - Protection for claims made against you.
  • Cover for accidental damage caused by either your tenants or yourself, including glazing repair.
  • Replacement locks & keys
  • Cover for fees incurred in the rebuilding/repair of your property.
  • Optional contents cover is available.
  • If utilities are used in your property when it is occupied without your authority you will be covered for the resulting utility bills.

What about Commercial Landlord Insurance?

If you rent out a number of buildings including shops, offices, hotels or even homes then our Commercial Landlord Insurance is perfect for you. This will cover you for many of the same liabilities that our Residential Insurance does. You could also include:

  • Rent Cover which covers the loss of rent if your property is damaged from an insured event.
  • Cover for damage to your property as a result of an act of terrorism (optional)
  • As an optional add-on we offer employers liability if you employ any staff

Visit our Landlord Insurance page to see the cover that we offer.

Landlord Contents Insurance

If you are renting your property unfurnished then you may have no need to purchase contents insurance, if you have furniture and other furnishings that are valuable then you may want to invest in contents insurance for those items.

You will also need to remind your tenant that (should they choose) they will need to buy their own contents insurance for their possessions as your contents insurance may not (and usually won’t) cover them. We also cover carpets, floorings and fittings such as the bathroom suite and fitted kitchen as standard as part of your building sum insured.

Rent Cover

Rent cover protects you from losing money from periods when rent is unable to be paid, following an insured event.

Making a claim is traumatic enough, so rent cover will give you peace of mind that you won’t lose money following an insured loss.